Want to buy shoes online but don't know your size?
Try our printable Brannock Device!
The Brannock Device, better known as "That foot measuring thingy" has been a staple of shoe stores for many years. Now you can make and use your own Brannock Device from the comfort of your home so you know what size you need. To get started, follow these instructions:
2. Open up the file in your preferred PDF viewer and print on a sheet of letter paper.
3. Remove your shoes, but be sure to leave on a pair of socks similar to the type that you plan to wear with your shoes.
4. Put a straight edge (ruler, clipboard, book, etc.) on the red line behind where it says "Right/Left Heel" (depending on which foot you are measuring--using the correct side is VERY IMPORTANT).
5. While standing, put your heel firmly against the straight edge and put your foot down.
6. Record the size indicated at the tip of your longest toe (the longest point of your foot). Marking this with a pen while standing on the tool is best, as it can be difficult to accurately read the measurement from a distance. If the size falls between two lengths, choose the longer length.
7. Repeat entire measuring process for your other foot, but remember to flip the measuring tool so that you are using the correct side: Right or left heel. Very few people have feet that exactly match one another, and you should buy shoes based on your larger foot size.